samedi 28 février 2015

DIFFERENT TYPES OF PRONOUNS

1.REFLEXIVE  PRONOUNS


132. When -self is added to my, your, him, her, it, and -selves to our, your, them, we get
what are called Compound Personal Pronouns.
They are called Reflexive Pronouns when the action done by the subject turns back
(reflects) upon the subject; as,

  1. I hurt myself.
  2. We hurt ourselves.
  3. You will hurt yourself.
  4. You hurt yourselves.
  5. He hurt himself.
  6. She hurt herself.
  7. They hurt themselves.
  8. The horse hurt itself.

It will be noticed that each of these Reflexive Pronouns is used as the Object of a verb,
and refers to the same person or thing as that denoted by the Subject of the verb.
133. Sometimes, in older English, especially in poetry, a simple pronoun was used
reflexively; as;
Now I lay me down to sleep.

2.EMPHATIC PRONOUNS

135. Now look at the following sentences:-

  1. I will do it myself.
  2. I myself saw him do it.
  3. We will see to it ourselves.
  4. You yourself can best explain.
  5. He himself said so.
  6. She herself says so.
  7. It was told so by the teacher himself.
  8. We saw the Prime Minister himself.
  9. The town itself is not very large.
  10. They themselves admitted their guilt.

It will be seen that here Compound Personal Pronouns are used for the sake of emphasis,
and are therefore called Emphatic Pronouns.

3.DEMONSTRATIVE, INDEFINITE AND DISTRIBUTIVE
PRONOUNS
136. Consider the following sentences:-
This is a present from my uncle.


  1. These are merely excuses,
  2. Both cars are good; but this is better than that
  3. Mumbai mangoes are better than those of Bangalore.
  4. Make haste, that's a good boy. [Here that - one who makes haste.]
  5. There is no period in ancient-Indian history so glorious as that of the Guptas. [Do not
  6. write, “as the Guptas”]
  7. My views are quite in accordance with those of the University Commission.
  8. I may have offended, but such was not my intention.
  9. He was the representative of the King, and as such (= the representative of the King)
  10. they honored him.
  11. The stranger is welcomed as such.
  12. That is the Red Fort.
will be noticed that the Pronouns in italics are used to point out the objects to which they refer, and are, therefore, called Demonstrative Pronouns. (Latin demonstrare, to show clearly).
A work from S. CHAND & COMPANY LTD.

137. This, that, etc. are (Demonstrative) Adjectives when they are used with nouns; as,

  1. This book is mine.
  2. That pen is yours.
  3. These books are mine.
  4. Those pens are yours.
  5. What was that noise?
  6. This horse is better than that horse.,
  7. All such people ought to be avoided.

138. This refers to what is close at hand, and nearest to the thought or person of the
speaker; that refers to what is 'over there', farther] away, and more remote.

    This is better than that.

139. That, with its plural those, is used to avoid the repetition of a preceding Noun; as,


  1. The climate of Belgaum is like that of Pune.
  2. The streets of this city are worse than those of Ahmedabad.
  3. Our soldiers were better drilled than those of enemies.
  4. The rivers of America are larger than those of Europe.

140. When two things which have been already mentioned are referred to, this refers to
the thing last mentioned, that to the thing first mentioned; as,
Virtue and vice offer themselves for your choice; this (i.e., vice) leads to misery, that
(i.e., virtue) to happiness,

Alcohol and tobacco are both injurious; this perhaps, less than that.

4.INDEFINITE PRONOUNS

141. Consider the following sentences:
One hardly knows what to do.


  1. One does not like to say so, but it is only too true.
  2. One cannot be too careful of one's (not, his) good name.
  3. One must not boast of one's own success.
  4. One must use one's best efforts if one wishes to succeed.
  5. One must not praise one's self.
  6. None of his poems are well known.
  7. None but fools have ever believed it.

[None is a shortened form of not one; yet it is commonly used with plural verbs].
They (= people in general) say he has lost heavily.
They say that one of the local banks has stopped payment. [They say = it is said by some
persons.]

  1. All were drowned.
  2. Some are born great.
  3. Some say he is a sharper.
  4. Somebody has stolen my watch.
  5. Nobody was there to rescue the child.
  6. Few escaped unhurt.
  7. Many of them were Gurkhas.
  8. We did not see any of them again.
  9. One or other of us will be there.
  10. Do good to others.
  11. Did you ask anybody to come?
  12. What is everybody's business is nobody's business.
  13. His words are in everyone's mouth.

All these Pronouns in italics refer to persons or things in a general way, but do not refer
to any person or thing in particular. They are, therefore, called Indefinite Pronouns.

142. Most of these words may also be used as Adjectives.

  1. • I will take you there one day.
  2. • Any fool can do that.
  3. • He is a man of few words.
  4. • Some milk was spilt.

143. In referring to anybody, everybody, everyone, anyone, each etc., the pronoun he or
she is used according to the context; as,

I shall be glad to help everyone of my boys in his studies.
Note that today it is more usual to use a plural pronoun (they/ them/their) except in very
formal English.
Anybody can do it if they try.
Each of them had their share.

5.DISTRIBUTIVE PRONOUNS

144. Consider the following sentences:-


  1. • Each of the boys gets a prize.
  2. • Each took it in turn.
  3. • Either of these roads leads to the railway station.
  4. • Either of you can go.
  5. • Neither of the accusations is true.

Each, either, neither are called Distributive Pronouns because they refer to persons or
things one at a time. For this reason they are always singular and as such followed by the
verb in the singular.

Note:- Each is used to denote every one of a number of persons or things taken singly.

• Either means the one or the other of two.
• Neither means not the one nor the other of two. It is the negative of either.
Hence either and neither should be used only in speaking of two persons or things. When
more than two are spoken of, any, no one, none should be used.

145. The position of the pronoun each should be noticed. It may have three positions.

1. Each of the men received a reward.
Each of these horses cost five thousand rupees.
I bought each of these mangoes for three rupees.
2. These men received each a reward.
These horses cost each five thousand rupees.
3. These horses cost five thousand rupees each.
I bought these mangoes for three rupees each.
The third order is usual after a numeral. We do not say, 'The men received a reward each';
but we say, 'The men received five hundred rupees each'.

146. In the following sentences, each, either and neither are used as Adjectives; they are
followed by nouns of the singular number:-
Each boy took his turn. Neither accusation is true.
At either end was a marble statue. (Here either = each or both.)

147. Study the following sentences :-

1. The two men hate each other.
2. They cheated one another.
If we analyse them, they mean-
1. The two men hate, each hates the other.
2. They cheated, one cheated another.
Each and one really belong to the subject, other and another are objects. But each other
and one another have become in practice compound pronouns (called Reciprocal
Pronouns) and are rarely separated even by a preposition. Thus we say:
The brothers quarrelled with each other.
They all gave evidence against one another.
Note - The one-time rule that each other should be used in speaking of two persons or
things, one another in speaking of more than two is no longer strictly observed. 'The three
brothers quarrelled with each other' is now accepted as idiomatic.

6.RELATIVE PRONOUNS

148. Read the following pairs of sentences:
1. I met Hari. Hari had just returned.
2. I have found the pen. I lost the pen.
3. Here is the book. You lent me the book.

Let us now combine each of the above pairs into one sentence. Thus :-

1. I met Hari who had just returned.
2. I have found the pen which I lost.
3. Here is the book that you lent me.

Now let us examine the work done by each of the words, who, which and that.
The word who is used instead of the noun Hari. It, therefore, does the work of a Pronoun.
The word who joins or connects two statements. It, therefore, does the work of a
Conjunction.
The word who, therefore, does double work-the work of a Pronoun and also the work of a
Conjunction.
We might, therefore, call it a Conjunctive Pronoun.
It is, however, called a Relative Pronoun because it refers or relates (Le., carries us back)
to some noun going before (here, the noun Hari), which is called its Antecedent.
Let the pupil show why which and that are also Relative Pronouns in the second and third
sentences.
• What is the Antecedent of which in the second sentence?
• What is the Antecedent of that in the third sentence?

7.INTERROGATIVE PRONOUNS

169. Consider the following sentences :-


  1. Who is there? Who are you?
  2. About whom you are thinking? / Who are you thinking about?
  3. Whom do you want? / Who do you want?
  4. Whose is this book?
  5. Which is the house?
  6. Which do you prefer, tea or coffee?
  7. What is the matter?
  8. What do you want?
  9. What will all (he neighbors say?

It will be noticed that the Pronouns in italics are similar in form to Relative Pronouns.
But the work which they do is different. They are here used for asking questions, and are,
therefore, called Interrogative Pronouns.

170. In the following sentences the Interrogative Pronouns are used in asking indirect
questions.


  1. I asked who was speaking.
  2. I do not know who is there.
  3. Tell me what you have done.
  4. Ask what he wants.
  5. Say which you would tike best.

171. Again consider the following sentences: -

Whose is this book? (Possessive)
Whom did you see? / Who did you see?, To whom were you speaking? / Who were you
speaking to? (Accusative)
What is that? (Nominative)
What do you want? (Accusative)
Which is he? (Nominative)
Which do you prefer? (Accusative)
Nominative: who, Possessive: whose, Accusative: whom/who --Masc. and Fem. Singular
and Plural.
Today the accusative who is more usual than whom, especially in spoken English.
What and which do not have different forms for different cases.
172. Who is used of persons only.

Who spoke? (We expect the answer to be the name of a person.)
Who goes there? Who made the top score? Who is knocking at the door? Who says so?
Whose is this umbrella? Whom did you see?

173. Which is used of both persons and things. It implies selection, that is, it implies a
question concerning a limited number.


  1. Which is your friend? Which are your books?
  2. Which of the boys saw him?
  3. Which of you has done this?
  4. Which of these books is yours?
  5. Which of the pictures do you like best?
  6. Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? Which will you take?

174. What is used of things only.


  1. What have you found? (We expect the answer to be the name of a thing.)
  2. What do you want? What did you say?
  3. What was it all about?
  4. What is sweeter than honey?
  5. What are those marks on your coat?


175. In such expressions as, 'What are you?' 'What is he?' What is this man?' the word
what does not refer to the person but to his profession or employment (Today it is more
usual to say, ‘What do you do?’ etc).
What are you? --- I am a doctor.
What is he? --- He is an engineer.
But-
Who is he? (= What is his name and family?) -He is Mr. K.P. Roy.

176. In the following sentences which and what are used as Interrogative Adjectives:-
• Which book are your reading?
• Which way shall we go?
• What books have you read?
• What pranks are you playing?
• What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

177. In the following sentences the words in italics are used as Compound Interrogative
Pronouns :-
Whoever told you so?
Whatever are you doing?
Note.- The forms whoever, whichever, whatever, are intensive.
Exercise:
Join together each of the following pairs of sentences by means of a Connective:-
1. I know a man. The man has been to Iceland.
2. The thief stole the watch. The thief was punished.
3. Show the road. The road leads to Delhi.
4. Here is the doctor. The doctor cured me of malaria.
5. J met a boy. He was very cruel.
6. He does his best. He should be praised.
7. The man is honest. The man is trusted.
8. My father is dead. I loved my father.
9. The teacher sent for the boy. The boy came at once.
10. Wellington was a great general. He defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo.
11. The dog bit the burglar. The burglar had broken into the house.
12. Once upon a time there lived a giant. The giant was very powerful and cruel.
13. We met a girl. The girl had lost her way.
14. Kalidas is famous. He wrote some fine dramas.
15. He is a rogue. No one trusts him.
16. The child is dead. The child came here yesterday.
17. The child is dead. I saw the child yesterday.
18. I know the man. He stole the bicycle.
19. The man stole the bicycle. He has been arrested.
20. I have found the umbrella. I lost it.

Exercise in Grammar 28
Tell which Pronouns in the following sentences are Reflexive and which Emphatic:-
[Emphatic Pronouns are also called Emphasizing Pronouns.]
1. I will go myself.
2. Rama has hurt himself.
3. We often deceive ourselves.
4. I myself heard the remark.
5. You express yourself very imperfectly.
6. I wash myself when I get up.
7. The boys hid themselves.
8. They have got themselves into a mess.
9. Boadicea poisoned herself.
10. They loved themselves so much that they thought of no one else.
11. The prisoner hanged himself.
12. The poor widow poisoned herself.
13. They enjoyed themselves.
14. Don't you deceive yourself?
15. I myself heard the remark.
16. He set himself a hard task.
17. We exerted ourselves.
18. The dog choked itself.
19. They gave themselves a lot of trouble.
20. We seldom see ourselves as others see us.
21. A house divided against itself cannot stand.
22. He that wrongs his friend wrongs himself more.
23. Some people are always talking about themselves.


Exercise in Grammar 
Name the Relative Pronouns in the following sentences, tell the case of each, and
mention its antecedent:-
1. The pen that you gave me is a very good one.
2. The answer which you gave is not right.
3. I know the woman whose child was hurt.
4. Bring me the letters which the postman left.
5. This is the house that Jack built.
6. Hari saw the man who had been hurt.
7. We met the sailors whose ship was wrecked.
8. Here are the books which I found.
9. The cat killed the rat that ate the com.
10. Bring me the books which lie on the table.
11. Here is the book that you lent me.
12. I hate children who are cruel.
13. Show me the knife that you have bought.
14. He has not brought the knife that I asked for.
15. Dogs soon know the persons by whom they are kindly treated.
16. This is the juggler whom we saw yesterday.
17. They that seek wisdom will be wise

Exercise in Composition 

Fill the blanks with suitable Relative Pronouns:-
1. We always like boys --- speak the truth.
2. We saw the dog --- worried the cat.
3. He ---, does his best shall be praised.
4. I know ---. you mean.
5. She has gone to Chennai, --- is her birthplace.
6. I have seen the bird --- you describe.
7. I do not know the man --- hit the boy.
10. Here is the pen --- you lost.
11. Most people get --- they deserve.
12. Time --- is lost is never found again.
13. I did not know the person --- called.
14. He is a man --- you can trust. .
15. Where is the book --- I gave you?
16. Is this the street --- leads to the station? .
17. The letter --- you wrote never arrived.
18. Listen to --- I say.
19. He --- is merciful shall meet mercy.
20. Did you receive the letter --- I sent yesterday?
21. --- I have said, I have said.
22. --- he was I could never find out.
23. --- do you believe him to be?
24. Do you know --- has happened?
25. --- is done cannot be undone.
26. Do the same --- I do.
27. For my purpose I need such a man --- he is.
28. God helps those --- help themselves.
29. No man can lose --- he never had.
30.You should not imitate such a boy --- he.

Exercise in Composition 

Fill the blanks with suitable Relative Pronouns:-

1. That man --- wilt not work must starve.
2. Such a man --- he should be honoured.
3. These mangoes are not such --- I bought yesterday.
4. It is not such a pretty place --- I had expected.
5. We have need of more such men --- he.
6. He plays the game --- he likes best.
7. I do not believe --- you say.
8. My uncle, --- I loved, is dead.
9. The farmer is cutting the corn--- has ripened.
10. --- you say is not true.
11. A lady --- I know nursed the child.
12. He says--- he means, and means --- he says.
13. --- pleases you wilt please me.
14. I gave it to the man --- I saw there.
15. I know --- you are seeking.
16. They --- touch pitch will be defiled.
17. You have not brought the book --- I asked for.
18. Only he --- bears the burden knows its weight.
19. Such books --- you read are not worth reading.
20. When you speak to him remember to --- you are speaking.
21. I regard that man as lost --- has lost his sense of shame.
22. Wealth is not his --- has it, but his --- enjoys it.
23. People --- are too sharp cut their own fingers.
24. Truth provokes those --- it does not convert.
25. We do not know --- he intends to do.
26. It is an ill wind --- blows nobody good,
27. Is this a dagger --- I see before me? .
28. I know to --- you are alluding.
29. --- the gods would destroy they first make mad.
30. He is the very man --- we want.
31. Place recite --- you have learned.
32. They always talk --- never think.
33. Such --- have pure hearts shall inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Exercise in Composition 

Join together each of the following pairs of sentences by means of a Connective:-

1. I know a man. The man has been to Iceland.
2. The thief stole the watch. The thief was punished.
3. Show the road. The road leads to Delhi.
4. Here is the doctor. The doctor cured me of malaria.
5. J met a boy. He was very cruel.
6. He does his best. He should be praised.
7. The man is honest. The man is trusted.
8. My father is dead. I loved my father.
9. The teacher sent for the boy. The boy came at once.
10. Wellington was a great general. He defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo.
11. The dog bit the burglar. The burglar had broken into the house.
12. Once upon a time there lived a giant. The giant was very powerful and cruel.
13. We met a girl. The girl had lost her way.
14. Kalidas is famous. He wrote some fine dramas.
15. He is a rogue. No one trusts him.
16. The child is dead. The child came here yesterday.
17. The child is dead. I saw the child yesterday.
18. I know the man. He stole the bicycle.
19. The man stole the bicycle. He has been arrested.
20. I have found the umbrella. I lost it.
21. I saw a soldier. He had lost an arm.
22. This is the path. He came by this path.
23. The horse was lame. We saw the horse. . . .
24. Those boys were kept in. They had been very lazy.
25. I saw a girl. She was singing.
26. That boy bowls very well. You see him there.
27. Here is the book. You were asking for the book.
28. Here is the pencil. You lost it yesterday. .
29. The man is deaf. You spoke to the man.
30. Coal is found in Bengal. It is a very useful mineral.

Exercise in Composition 

Join together each of the following pairs of sentences by means of a Connective:-
1. This is the building. It was built in a single month.
2. The letter reached me this morning. You sent the letter.
3. Karim is always idle. He was punished.
4. I met my uncle. He had just arrived.
5. This is the house. Jack built it.
6. The boy is my cousin. You see him there.
7. The ladies have arrived. I was speaking of them.
8. The boys clapped heartily. They were watching the match.
9. The boy tells lies. He deserves to be punished.
10. I heard a song. The song pleased me.
13. Here is a book. The book contains pictures.
14. Give me the ruler. The ruler ts on the desk.
15. The bicycle is a new one. Hari rode it.
16. We got into a bus. It was full of people.
17. He has a friend. He is a clever artist.
18. He is a well-known man. His generosity is the talk of the town.
19. The cat caught the mouse. The cat was pursuing the mouse.
20. Can I borrow the book? You are reading it.
21. The boy was very proud. He had won the first prize.
22. Little Red Riding Hood went lo visit her grandmother. Her grand mother was ill in
bed.
23. This is my cousin. I was speaking of him.
24. We all despise a cowardly boy. He is one.
25. This is the cat. It killed the rat.
26. Those grapes were very sweet. You brought them.
27. Hari spoke to the soldier. The soldier's arm was in a sling.
28. The captain praised Balu. Balu's bowling was very good.
29. A man came running up. He heard me calling.

Exercise in Composition 

Split each of the following sentences into two:-
1. The boys gave a loud shout, which was heard across the river.
2. Bring me the book that is on the table.
3. It was a wretched hut in which she lived.
4. The boy who fell off his bicycle has hurt his leg.
5. The elephant 'hat was sick died.
6. The farmer is cutting the corn which has ripened.
7. Napoleon, whom (he French honour, died at St. Helena.
8. The crow dropped the cheese, which the fox immediately snapped up.
9. John, who is my cousin, is a diligent boy.
10. Where is the parcel that I left here yesterday?
11. I have found the book which I lost.
12. We visited Cox's Bazar, which is the most attractive spot in Bangladesh.
13. The boy whom you see there made the top score in the last match.
14. Dadabhai Naoroji, who was the First Indian to enter the British Parliament, was a
Parsee.
15. He is a poet whose works arc widely known.
16. The Taj Mahal, which was built by Shah Jahan, is the finest mausoleum in the world.
17. Last year we visited the Moti Masjid. which is a mosque of great architectural beauty.
18. The meeting, which was held in the Town Hall, was a great success.
19. The rope, which was old, snapped.
20. The task which you have to do is easy.
21. People who live in glass houses must not throw stones.

 GOOD LUCK DEARS


1 commentaire: